University of California at Berkeley, Ph.D. Sociology, 1971.
Academic Areas of Interest:
Sociology of Education, School Organization, Teaching as an Occupation, Ethnographic Research, Effects of Social Class Context on Schooling.
Affiliate, Institute for Research on Poverty.
Honors and Awards:
- University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Education Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award, 2006.
- Spencer Foundation Mentoring Grant (unsolicated honor).
- Kent Fellowship.
- Woodrow Wilson Fellowship.
- German Academic Exchange Commission Fellow.
- Phi Beta Kappa.
Current and Recent Professional Activities:
- EPS Department Chair, 1991-1994, 2003-2005.
- Director, School of Education Research Training Program, 1996-2000.
Offices Held in National Professional Associations:
- American Sociological Association
Chair, Willard Waller Committee, Sociology of Education Section, 1999-2000 (Appointed);
Nominating Committee, Sociology of Education Section, 1987-1988, 1990-1991 (Appointed);
Chair, Sociology of Education Section, 1985-1986 (Elected).
- American Educational Research Association
Chair, Sociology of Education Special Interest Group, 1999-2001 (Elected);
Member Executive Board, 1992-1994;
Member-at-Large of the Association Council, 1991-1994 (Elected);
Member of the Professional Development and Training Committee, 1989-1992 (Appointed).
Editorial Board Memberships:
- Series in Sociology of Education, Teachers College Press, 1992-2005.
- American Educational Research Journal, 1999-2002.
- Sociology of Education, 1998-2002.
- Youth & Society, 1993-1997.
- Spencer Foundation
Fellowship Advisory Board, 2005-2006;
Small Grant Advisory Board, 2001-2002;
Participant, Workshops for Doctoral Research Training Grant Leaders, 1996-2000.
Current Research Projects:
Symbolism in the No Child Left Behind Law and its effects.