Professor, Department Chair
235 Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1326
Lesley Bartlett is a Professor in Educational Policy Studies. She is also affiliated with Curriculum and Instruction and Latin American, Caribbean, and Iberian Studies (LACIS). An anthropologist by training who works in the field of International and Comparative Education, Professor Bartlett’s teaching and research focus on multilingual literacies, migration, and educator professional development; she has also published widely on ethnographic, case study, and comparative case study research methods. From 2019-2021, Professor Bartlett served as Faculty Director of the Institute for Regional and International Studies at University of Wisconsin-Madison. From 2020-2023, she co-edited the Anthropology and Education Quarterly with her colleague, Professor Stacey Lee
- PhD Anthropology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2001
- Vavrus, F., & Bartlett, L. (2023). Comparative Case Studies: New Designs, New Directions Taylor & Francis.
- Bajaj, M., Walsh, D., Bartlett, L., & Martínez, G. (2022). Humanizing Education for Immigrant and Refugee Youth: 20 Strategies for the Classroom & Beyond Teachers College Press.
- Bartlett, L., & Dowd, A. J. (2019). The Need for Speed: Interrogating the Dominance of Oral Reading Fluency in International Reading Efforts. Comparative Education Review, 63(2), 189-212.
- Bartlett, L., Oliveira, G., & Ungemah, L. (2018). Cruel Optimism: Migration and Schooling for Dominican Newcomer Immigrant Youth. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 49(4), 444-461.
- Bartlett, L., & Vavrus, F. (2017). Rethinking Case Study Research: A Comparative Approach. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Bartlett, L., Dowd, A. J., & Jonason, C. (2015). Problematizing early grade reading: Should the post-2015 agenda treasure what is measured?. International Journal of Educational Development, 40(1), 308–314.
- Bartlett, L., & Ghaffar-Kucher, A. (2013). Refugees, Immigrants, and Education in the Global South: Lives in Motion. New York: Routledge.
- Vavrus, F., & Bartlett, L. (2013). Teaching in Tension: International Pedagogies, National Policies, and Teachers’ Practices in Tanzania. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Bartlett, L., & Garcia, O. (2011). Additive Schooling in Subtractive Times: Bilingual Education and Dominican Immigrant Youth in the Heights. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.
- Bartlett, L. (2010). The Word and the World: The Cultural Politics of Literacy in Brazil. Creskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
Select Awards and Honors
- Kellet Mid-Career Award, 2023
- Editor, Anthropology and Education Quarterly, (2020-2023)
- Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award, UW Madison, 2022
- Bereday Award for Best Article in Comparative Education Review, Comparative and International Education Society, 2020
- Fulbright Senior Scholar Award, Spain, 2018
- Vilas Mid-Career Award, University of Wisconsin-Madison, (2016, 2018)
- Spencer Mid-Career Fellow, Spencer Foundation, (2015, 2016)
- Jackie Kirk National Book Award, Comparative and International Education Society, 2014
- Fulbright-Hayes Faculty Fellowship Recipient, Dominican Republic, 2009
- Mellon Post-doctoral, Center for Teaching, Learning and Writing, Duke University, 2001