Stacey J. Lee
Vilas Research Professor
209 Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1326
Stacey J. Lee is the Frederick Erickson WARF Professor of Educational Policy Studies and a faculty affiliate in Asian American Studies. Her research focuses on the role of education in the incorporation of im/migrants into the US. She is the author of Unraveling the Model Minority Stereotype: Listening to Asian American Youth and Up Against Whiteness: Race, School and Immigrant Youth, and Resisting Asian American Invisibility: The Politics of Race and Education.
- PhD Anthropology of Education, Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania, 1991
- MA Political Science, New York University, 1985
- AB Political Science, Vassar College, 1984
- Lee, S. J., Hernandez, G. O., & Park, E. (2022). “Asian Americans and the battle against affirmative action: Opposition to race-based admissions as neoliberal racial subjectivity performance.”. Race, Ethnicity & Education
- Lee, S. J., Xiong, C., Pheng, L., & Vang, M. (2020). “Asians for Black lives, Not Asians for Asians”: Building Southeast Asian American and Black Solidarity. Anthropology & Education Quarterly
- Jaffe-Walter, R., Miranda, C., & Lee, S. J. (2019). From Protest to Protection: Navigating Politics with Immigrant Students in Uncertain Times. Harvard Educational Review, 89(2) (pp. 251-276).
- Jaffe-Walter, R., & Lee, S. J. (2018). Engaging the Transnational Lives of Immigrant Youth in Public Schooling: Towards Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for Newcomer Immigrant Youth. American Journal of Education, 124(3), 257-283.
- Lee, S. J., & Walsh, D. (2017). Socially Just Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for Diverse Immigrant Youth: Possibilities, challenges & directions. In D. Paris & S. Alim (Eds.), Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy New York City, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Lee, S. J. (2017). The (In)Flexibility of Racial Policies: Chinese Americans Access to White Schools in the Jim Crow South. In T. McCarty & A. Castagno (Eds.), The Anthropology of Education Policy Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Lee, S. J. (2009). Unraveling the Model Minority Stereotype: Listening to Asian American Youth (2nd Edition). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Lee, S. J. (2005). Up Against Whiteness: Race, School and Immigrant Youth. New York: Teachers College Press.
Select Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Scholar Award, American Educational Research Association, Research on the Education of Asian and Pacific Americans Special Interest Group, 2016
- Vilas Mid-Career Investigator Award, University of Wisconsin, (2015, 2016)