Stacey J. Lee
209 Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1326
Stacey J. Lee is the Frederick Erickson WARF Professor of Educational Policy Studies and a faculty affiliate in Asian American Studies. Her research focuses on the role of education in the incorporation of immigrants into the US. She is the author of Unraveling the Model Minority Stereotype: Listening to Asian American Youth and Up Against Whiteness: Race, school and immigrant youth.
- PhD Anthropology of Education, Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania, 1991
- MA Political Science, New York University, 1985
- AB Political Science, Vassar College, 1984
- Lee, S. J., Xiong, C., Pheng, L., & Vang, M. (In Press). “Asians for Black lives, Not Asians for Asians”: Building Southeast Asian American and Black Solidarity. Anthropology & Education Quarterly
- Jaffe-Walter, R., Miranda, C., & Lee, S. J. (2019). From Protest to Protection: Navigating Politics with Immigrant Students in Uncertain Times. Harvard Educational Review, 89(2) (pp. 251-276).
- Jaffe-Walter, R., & Lee, S. J. (2018). Engaging the Transnational Lives of Immigrant Youth in Public Schooling: Towards Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for Newcomer Immigrant Youth. American Journal of Education, 124(3), 257-283.
- Lee, S. J., & Walsh, D. (2017). Socially Just Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy for Diverse Immigrant Youth: Possibilities, challenges & directions. In D. Paris & S. Alim (Eds.), Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy New York City, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Lee, S. J., (2017). The (In)Flexibility of Racial Policies: Chinese Americans Access to White Schools in the Jim Crow South. In T. McCarty & A. Castagno (Eds.), The Anthropology of Education Policy Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Lee, S. J., (2009). Unraveling the Model Minority Stereotype: Listening to Asian American Youth (2nd Edition). New York: Teachers College Press.
- Lee, S. J., (2005). Up Against Whiteness: Race, School and Immigrant Youth. New York: Teachers College Press.
Select Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Scholar Award, American Educational Research Association, Research on the Education of Asian and Pacific Americans Special Interest Group, 2016
- Vilas Mid-Career Investigator Award, University of Wisconsin, (2015, 2016)